General Encryption

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM

I am looking for some advice. I have found the simulator very useful in the absence of a real HSM (awaiting delivery).

I am new to the Thales world and would appreciate it if somebody could give me some advice on the commands to use to do a TRIPLE DES encryption.

In the manual I can see many commands to generate keys and translate keys, but nothing that is obviously used to encrypt and decrypt data. I can see commands to encrypt and decrypt pins (BA and NG). But what about general TRIPLE DES or DES encryption of a block of data?

Thank s in advance.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I can only speak for the 8000 series. The only available host commands that approach 3D encryption are the M0, M2 and M4 commands. You will not find a host command that encrypts/decrypts data with a clear key. The console has a 3DES calculator facility but (you guessed it) you have to be at the HSM console.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Thank you for the quick reply.

One other question, which commands would you recommend if I just wanted to do single des encrypt and single des decrypt (I am actually using the RG7000 - so not all the 8000 commands are available ?

Thank you

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM

M0 and M2 are the ones closer to what you want to do. As I said, these commands don't use clear keys.